This week’s roundup of Veteran news and resources:
- We often mention the Veterans Crisis Line and how it has saved lives, but this video really drives home the enormous effort from dedicated folks to staff the calls day and night. And as always, the Crisis Line can be reached at 1-800-273-8255, online through chat, and now by text at 838255.
- Sometime soon, the 20 millionth VA-backed home loan will be processed. Veterans have received loans for no down payment for decades. Check out the program if you’re looking to buy or refinance.
- There was a great segment on Sunday’s 60 Minutes on Veterans Treatment Courts, which help connect Vets in trouble with the law with VA resources and support. Check out the segment and more about the courts here.
- The US Chamber of Commerce has been holding Hire Our Heroes hiring fairs for months, and there are still plenty to come. Check out the national events through October, as well as the rest of the year here.
- Army Command Sergeant Major Basil Plumley, a Veteran of three wars who was immortalized by Sam Elliot in We Were Soldiers, died last week at the age of 92. He was a towering figure not just for the Vietnam generation, but all who have served. He led a truly remarkable life.