On the eve of Veterans month, the VA, in collaboration with Got Your 6 and local Community Veteran Engagement Boards, will host a nationwide series of StorytellersX events in November and December. These events feature Veterans sharing their stories of post-military life.
For these Veteran storytellers, who have included elected officials, filmmakers, entrepreneurs and educators, the project connects Veterans with their communities, helping to bridge the civilian-military divide.
“Research shows that the percentage of Americans who currently serve in the military is at its lowest point in history,” said VA secretary Dr. David J. Shulkin. “StorytellersX will showcase the exemplary talents and experiences of some of our nation’s brightest Veterans and shift the conversation to more accurate perceptions of Veterans. The reality is that most Veterans are exceptional citizens with life experiences that few understand. Veterans vote and volunteer more and serve their communities at higher rates than their civilian counterparts.”
During StorytellersX, audiences will listen to Veterans share how military service prepared them for civilian life and personal and professional success. The 2017 StorytellersX dates and locations are:
- Hebron, Connecticut — 9-5 p.m. Nov. 4, Easter Seals Camp Hemlocks, 85 Jones St., Amston, Connecticut
- Montpelier, Maine — 6-7:30 p.m. Nov. 7, The General Henry Knox Museum, 30 High St., Thomaston, Maine – Video Posted
- Colorado Springs, Colorado — 3-5 p.m. MST Nov. 9, Mount Carmel Center of Excellence, 530 Communication Circle, Colorado Springs, Colorado Will be broadcasted on Facebook Live
- Lake County-McHenry County, Illinois; — 4-5 p.m. Nov. 15, Grayslake, Illinois
- Marion, Illinois — 6-7 p.m. Nov. 9, Varsity Theater in Carbondale, 418 S. Illinois Ave., Carbondale, Illinois – Will be broadcasted on Facebook Live
- Mooresville, North Carolina — 4-5 p.m. Nov. 9, 215 N. Main St., Mooresville, North Carolina
- New York, New York — 3-5 p.m. Nov. 11, 4 W. 43rd St., New York, New York
- Grand Junction, Colorado —3-5 p.m. Nov. 11, Avalon Theater, 645 Main St., Grand Junction, Colorado
- Cleveland, Ohio — 3-6 p.m. Nov. 17, American Red Cross of Northeast Ohio, Myers Room, 3747 Euclid Ave., Cleveland, Ohio, and
- Tucson, Arizona — 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m. Dec. 8, Military/Veteran Community Network-Southern Arizona 4th annual Community Summit University of Arizona, 1303 E. University Blvd., Tucson, Arizona. Register and more info
This page will be updated with additional locations, information and links to watch the events live.