Adaptive Sports Grant Program
The Adaptive Sports Grant Program is facilitated and managed by the National Veterans Sports Programs and Special Events Office (NVSP&SE). The mission of the NVSP&SE office is to provide opportunities for Veterans to improve their independence, well-being, and quality of life through adaptive sports and therapeutic arts programs. VA awards grants to qualifying organizations to plan, develop, manage, and implement programs to provide adaptive sports opportunities for disabled Veterans and disabled members of the Armed Forces as authorized under 38 United States Code 521A.
Grant Application Process
The application period is currently open through March 31 at 3 p.m. ET.
To be eligible for a grant, an organization must be a non-federal entity with significant experience in managing a large-scale adaptive sports program. As per 38 Code of Federal Regulations 77, criteria for inclusion is defined as programs that are (1) affiliated with a National Paralympic Committee or a National Governing Body authorized to provide Paralympic sports, (2) an adaptive sports program of a National Governing Body that meets additional requirements, or (3) an adaptive sports program in which at least 50 persons with disabilities participate or the eligible participants reside in at least five different congressional districts.
Of note, federal agencies are not eligible to receive grant funding through the Adaptive Sports Grant Program. Federal agencies are encouraged to partner with non-federal entities to jointly create national, regional, and community-based programs that provide adaptive sports activities for disabled Veterans and members of the Armed Forces.
VA issues a Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) through the federal government’s designated grant portal (grants.gov). Please see the “Apply” tab for detailed information on the application process.
- Adaptive sports activities that are authorized under the Adaptive Sports Grant Program:
- Instruction, participation, and competition in adaptive sports;
- Training and technical assistance to program administrators, coaches, recreation therapists, instructors, VA employees, and other appropriate individuals; and
- Coordination, Paralympic classification of athletes, athlete assessment, sport-specific training techniques, program development (including programs at the local level), sports equipment, supplies, program evaluation, and other activities related to the implementation and operation of the program.
How to apply
To apply for a grant through the VA Adaptive Sports Grant Program, a proposal based on the instructions provided in the Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) must be submitted during the announcement period. The VA Adaptive Sports Grant application period and funding priorities are subject to change each fiscal year.
The VA Adaptive Sports Grant application package is posted and submitted through www.grants.gov. The VA Adaptive Sports Grant Instructions for Application, NOFO, VA Form 10096, VA Form 10091, and Frequently Asked Questions are posted for download on this page. These documents will be updated during the grant application period, as applicable.
Before you apply:
- You must have a DUNS and Bradstreet Number
- You must be registered in System for Award Management
- You must be registered in Grants.Gov
- VA Adaptive Sports Grant Application Instructions
- FY 2021 Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Online Reporting Tool
- Presidential memos impacting current grant recipients:
If you have questions related to how these memos may impact your organization, please reach out to the Grants Team via email.