MISSION: At Home Challenge
Are you able? Social distancing and stay-at-home orders have quickly brought about a new reliance on adaptability. The question is – are you able? Able to inspire a fellow veteran; able to stay active at home; able to stay positive? While our current times have presented new challenges, Veterans and VA staff working with adaptive sports and therapeutic arts have always proven to be a resilient and resourceful force. Together, we know firsthand what it means to adapt, to persevere. From adaptive gaming to the healing expression of self through arts and writing, our Veterans are able.
We want to hear from you!
How are you staying active and healthy? Are you able to thrive in your creativity at home?
Here are 5 easy steps to join our MISSION: At Home Challenge:
- Be a leader. Be able and help other Veterans see what they can do to stay motivated.
- Set your phone in selfie video mode or have someone record it. Tip – ensure camera position is vertical and record with plenty of light.
- Demonstrate your ability in a :60 sec or less video of your at-home exercise and creative arts session. We want to see you exercising, singing, dancing, painting!
- Direct message (DM) your :60 sec or less video via social media @Sports4Vets and show us how you are adapting at home through fitness and the arts. We will share the most engaging and creative videos on our social media pages.
- Use the hashtags #Sports4VetsAtHome for your activity/exercise videos and/or #Arts4VetsAtHome for your creative arts video and post it to your personal social media pages. Don’t forget to also tag us @sports4vets so we can cheer you on.
VA’s Office of National Veterans Sports Programs and Special Events provides Veterans with opportunities for health and healing through adaptive sports and therapeutic art programs. These specialized rehabilitation events aim to optimize Veterans’ independence, community engagement, well-being, and quality of life. The programs are built on clinical expertise within VA, with essential support from Veteran Service Organizations, corporate sponsors, individual donors and community partners.
For more information or to learn how to get involved today, contact us at email@example.com.
The Grants for Adaptive Sports Programs for Veterans and Servicemembers with disabilities (ASG Program) provides grant funding to organizations to increase and expand the quantity and quality of sustainable adaptive sport activities that Veterans and Servicemembers with disabilities have to participate in physical activity including those for mental health issues within their home communities, as well as more advanced Paralympic and adaptive sport programs at the regional and national levels.
Interested in becoming a Paralympic athlete? The VA National Veterans Sports Programs & Special Events Office provides a monthly assistance allowance for Veterans with disabilities training in Paralympic sports, as well as certain Veterans with disabilities selected for or competing with the national Olympic Team, as authorized by 38 U.S.C. 322(d) and Section 703 of the Veterans’ Benefits Improvement Act of 2008.
Find more videos from VA’s Adaptive Sports & Therapeutic Arts programs. Visit our Special Events Playlist.