The holidays can be challenging. For those who live on a tight budget, the added expense of buying gifts for children or providing a winter celebration can be overwhelming. At Soldiers’ Angels, we understand how much stress this time of year can cause, which is why we are honored to provide holiday support for military and Veteran families.
Through the Soldiers’ Angels Holiday Adopt-A-Family program, eligible military and Veteran families are “adopted” by individuals, businesses, and organizations that are eager to support your family and ensure you have a wonderful holiday season.
How the Program Can Help Your Family
Families registered to receive holiday support through the Soldiers’ Angels Adopt-A-Family program can expect to receive at least one gift per child (ages 18 and under). The child, biological or step-, must live in the home and not yet be graduated from high school.
Approved families would also receive a grocery gift card or other form of gift card to put towards the purchase of the holiday meal and trimmings.
The following Veteran families are eligible based on financial need:
- Honorably discharged Post-9/11; wounded, ill, and injured service members and Veterans.
- HUD/VASH Veteran families. The Veteran must upload a letter from their HUD/VASH caseworker and must have received an honorable discharge.
- Deployed service members who are registered and approved for Soldiers’ Angels Deployed Support, are an E1-E6, meet income requirements, and will be deployed through December 25, 2020.
All families please note:
- All families must have a biological or step-child, ages 18 and under, living in the home and not yet graduated high school.
- All families will be placed on a priority placement list. Families who have not participated in the Soldiers’ Angels Adopt-A-Family Program in the past and those with the greatest need will have priority.
How to Apply
Below you will find a link to an online registration form. However, before beginning your registration, please be sure you have all of the necessary documents as outlined below. You will not be able to submit your registration without uploading the required documents, nor can you save a partially completed application. Please visit the Soldiers’ Angels Adopt-A-Family page and read through the Frequently Asked Questions page for full details.
Required documents by category
Post-9/11 wounded, ill or injured service members and Veterans:
- Proof of wound, illness or injury (line of duty determination, Purple Heart, or VA disability rating findings)
- Military ID (if currently serving on active duty, guard or reserve) or VA ID
- DD214 – Member 4 (if a Veteran)
- Proof of all income (LES, civilian pay stubs, spouse pay stubs, retirement pay statement, VA disability pay award, caregiver stipend award, CRSC, CRDP, SSDI award letter, child support)
For HUD/VASH Veterans:
- DD214 – Member 4
- Signed letter from the assigned VA case manager stating that the Veteran is currently in the HUD/VASH program. Click here for a copy of the letter. (When you click the link, the file will automatically download to your computer)
For deployed service members:
- Deployment orders
- Most recent end of month Leave and Earnings Statement (LES)
- Proof of all income (spouse’s income, child support, civilian income)
Once you have gathered your documents, click here to register for the Soldiers’ Angels Adopt-A-Family Program.
Hurry, spots are limited and registration closes on Monday, December 7th, 2020.
What to Expect After Registration
After you complete registration for the Soldiers’ Angels Adopt-A-Family Program, your information will be reviewed. If you are missing documents, you will be contacted to provide the correct information. If you meet the eligibility requirements, your registration will be approved and you will go into the queue to be “adopted.”
Once your family is “adopted,” you will be notified. The individual, business or organization that adopted your family will reach out to you directly to discuss gift options for the children and the best way to get the items to you and your family.
It is our hope that the Soldiers’ Angels Holiday Adopt-A-Family will help to alleviate some of the stress of the holiday season for military and Veteran families. Thank you for your service and Happy Holidays!
If you would like to help a military or Veteran family, learn more on how you can become a Team Angel.
Michelle Julazadeh Chavarin is the director of marketing and communications for Soldiers’ Angels.
The sharing of any non-VA information does not constitute an endorsement of products and services on part of VA.