The recommendation to not skip breakfast is just plain good advice. After all, you need enough fuel to make it through the morning, right? It is recommended that you eat breakfast within a few hours from when you wake up. Remember, when you’re sleeping, your metabolism is asleep as well, so you need to jump start your metabolism with a healthy breakfast.
You may be surprised how many healthy breakfast ideas require little effort when preparing. Helen Sanders and Rossmery Villavicencio from the Tampa Veterans Affairs Medical Center explain how you can easily prepare this tasty breakfast of eggs, toast, oatmeal, and fruit without much effort and cleanup.
Let’s get started!
- 3 large eggs
- Bunch of green onions
- 2 slices of wheat bread
- 1 cup of oatmeal, not instant oatmeal
- 1 cup of fruit
How to prepare
- Crack 3 eggs and pour into a mixing bowl
- Scoop out 2 egg yolks, leaving one egg yolk
- Chop green onion and add to egg bath
- Mix well
- Add butter or olive oil to skillet
- Pour egg with green onion into skillet and scramble
- To prepare oatmeal, follow directions on oatmeal box
- Toast 2 slices of bread
- Drain water or syrup off of fruit
- Serve with a cup of coffee or tea
To maintain or achieve a healthy diet and body weight, consider joining the MOVE! Weight Management Program at your local VA health care system.
Free healthy recipes and cookbooks are available on VA’s Nutrition web page at https://www.nutrition.va.gov/Recipes.asp.