The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs is looking for trailblazers who can inspire and lead change in Veterans’ care as executive directors of VA medical centers.
CEO opportunities are open in 11 cities: Amarillo, Texas; Beckley, West Virginia; Big Spring, Texas; Cleveland, Ohio; Fargo, North Dakota; Leeds, Massachusetts; Poplar Bluff, Missouri; Saint Cloud, Minnesota; Syracuse, New York; Tucson, Arizona; and West Palm Beach, Florida.
Executive directors shape the people, processes and policies that further VA’s commitment to providing high-quality care to those who’ve served the country. As a Senior Executive Service, VAMC executive directors work at the facility level to direct the nature and scope of patient care delivery. Executive directors also set goals, make decisions and plan ahead. They develop relationships with other federal agencies, the media, local and state government, and community-based organizations.
“As a VAMC Executive Director and member of the federal SES, you’ll have a direct impact on the nation’s largest integrated healthcare system — VA,” said Darren Sherrard, Associate Director of Recruitment and Marketing at VA. “You’ll be on the forefront of VA’s efforts to improve customer service, modernize electronic health records and make advances in the care of Veterans across the board.”
Executive directors report to the Veterans Integrated Service Network director for their region and are responsible for the financially sound direction and operation of their medical centers.
These opportunities provide a wide array of benefits:
- Competitive salary and premium-paid medical, vision and dental insurance.
- A robust retirement consisting of a federal pension with only five years’ vesting and a 401k-type plan with up to 5% in employer contributions.
- A total of 49 days of paid time off per year (26 days of annual leave, 13 days of sick leave and 10 federal holidays).
Choose VA to lead
VA is also seeking candidates to fill these other senior leadership positions:
- Associate Directors and Assistant Directors in a variety of roles.
- Associate Directors for Patient Care Services and other Nurse Executive positions (see related story).
- Chiefs of Staff in various cities.
- Senior Executive Service Deputy Under Secretaries, Executive Directors and others.
Choose VA today
- APPLY for an open Executive Director position:
- READ about senior leaders working at VA today and download the flyer (PDF).
- EXPLORE VA senior leadership positions.
- LEARN how to Choose VA at www.VAcareers.va.gov.