Discover the rewards of providing Veterans with orthopedic care by visiting with U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) career recruiters at the American Orthopaedic Association (AOA) Annual Leadership Meetings 2019 from June 25 to 29 in San Diego.
VA’s orthopedic surgeons, many of who are board-certified, provide specialized consultation and care to Veterans diagnosed with medical issues related to bones, muscles, tendons and ligaments.
Learn from experienced VA career professionals
“VA’s orthopedic surgeons deliver the best possible care to Veterans while leading, teaching and mentoring colleagues, residents, medical and nursing students and others,” said Darren Sherrard, Associate Director of Recruitment Marketing at VA. “Surgeons looking for careers with low patient-provider ratios, continuing education payments and time off, liability coverage and other benefits should visit the VA Careers table at AOA 2019.”
AOA seeks to equip orthopedic surgeons with the knowledge and skills they need to lead in the dynamic healthcare environment. The mission of the AOA Annual Leadership Meetings is to engage the orthopedic community to develop leaders, strategies and resources to guide the future of musculoskeletal care.
“Orthopedic surgeons who stop by the VA Careers Tabletop Exhibit 6 can learn about open positions, review the benefits of a VA career and pick up information to share with family and friends,” said Sherrard.
Conference attendees can also check out sessions on leadership, diversity and safety such as Roadmap to Being an Inclusive and Equitable Leader, Expanding Diversity Need Not Compromise Quality: What Can We Learn From the Military? and Quality Improvement and Patient Safety: How Leadership Can Create a Culture of Safety.
Explore the many benefits of serving Veterans
VA is a strong supporter of the surgeons who provide Veterans with specialized care they need to heal service-related injuries or live well as they grow older. VA physicians receive competitive compensation based on education, training and experience. They are eligible for performance-based increases, accelerated raises and support to continue their professional education.
Here are some of the benefits of a surgery career at VA:
- Work anywhere: Get licensed in any jurisdiction and apply for opportunities at VA locations across the United States and the territories.
- Take leave: Start with 49 days of paid time off each year, unlimited accumulated paid sick leave and 10 paid federal holidays.
- Perform at your highest level: Gain access to workforce and leadership development programs and career training and enhancement opportunities.
- Continue your medical education: Full time, permanent board-certified physicians receive up to $1,000 annually and up to five additional days of paid absences to attend approved continuing medical education courses.
- Advance your know-how, talent and performance: Take advantage of VA’s internal education and training programs, web-based learning systems and comprehensive instruction.
- Be protected: Receive free federal government liability coverage.
VA physician careers offer the following additional perks:
- Access healthcare: Join a federal health insurance plan that comes with premium payment support and exceptional coverage.
- Save for the future: Receive up to 5% in matching contributions from VA through the Thrift Savings Plan and establish flexible, tax-free spending accounts for nonreimbursable health expenses.
- Plan ahead: Gain access to the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) after just five years and take these benefits with you if you leave federal service.
- Save for the future: Participate in FERS and get a three-tier retirement plan with Social Security, FERS basic benefits and the Thrift Savings Plan.
Choose VA at AOA 2019