When it comes to interviews, planning is essential to success. Not only does it demonstrate professionalism, it also puts you in a position to be prepared and at your best. So when you have your next interview scheduled, follow these tips and be ready to impress:
1. Be Prepared. Before walking into the interview, review your resume and the job requirements to align yourself on your strengths, weaknesses, skills and experiences. Be ready to speak to what you can bring to the position, as well as what you hope to learn on the job.
2. Know the Organization. Use sites like Glassdoor to do some research on the organization, visit the company’s social pages and talk to others about their personal experiences before going in for an interview.
3. Look Your Best. Making a good first impression is crucial when interviewing for a job. Using what you know about the organization, get a feel for the office environment and dress appropriately. When in doubt, being overdressed is better than underdressed.
4. Be Enthusiastic. Speak clearly when making introductions and answering questions, and listen closely to the interviewer. Nerves can sometimes get in the way, but the best way to show you are interested in a role is to be engaged and excited.
5. Be Honest and Be Yourself. This one is key. Make sure the job is the right fit for you by simply being yourself and being honest about your intentions and goals.
If you’re ready for the next phase in your career, consider a future with VA. You’ll have access to leading-edge technology, educational and developmental resources, and a generous benefits package. Best of all, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of America’s Veterans. Search opportunities and apply today.