(Click on the photos in the carousel to see the full image)
The Winter Olympics are underway and this year 244 members of Team USA are in PyeongChang, South Korea competing. Nine of them are United States active-duty service members. Many of these men and women are part of the Army World Class Athlete Program where they are able train for intense athletic events while remaining on active duty. Two military athletes are coaches for the bobsled team and the seven remaining soldiers are competing in luge and bobsled competitions.
The Winter Olympics began on February 9 and end February 25. To those competing, thank you for your service and we wish you the best of luck!
Captain Michael Bryan Kohn: Bobsled Coach
Michael joined the Army National Guard in 1999 and will be coaching the men’s bobsled team. During his service, he was awarded many medals, including two Meritorious Service Medals and two Army Commendation Medals.
- 2010 Olympic Winter Games – Placed 12th in the two-man event with a time of 3:29:78
- Named as an alternate at the 2006 games in Torino
- Capped off 2001-2002 season with Olympic bronze in Salt Lake City with driver Brian Shimer
Sergeant Shauna Rohbock: Bobsled Driving Coach
Shauna has served since 2000 when she joined the Army as a member of the National Guard. She use to be a competitor for the U.S. women’s national team but in 1999 she decided to focus on bobsledding instead of soccer.
- 2010 Olympic Winter Games – 6th place with partner Michelle Rzepka
- 2006 Olympic silver medalist with Valerie Fleming
Sergeant Nick Cunningham: Bobsled
Nick joined the Army in 2011. He will participate in the two- and four-man bobsled race as a driver.
- 2014 Four-Man- 12th in Sochi
- 2014 Two-Man – 13th in Sochi
- 2010 Four-Man with pilot Mike Kohn – 13th in Vancouver
- 2010 Two-Man with pilot Mike Kohn – 12th in Vancouver
Sergeant Justin Olsen: Bobsled
Justin joined the New York National Guard as a member of the Army’s World Class Athlete Program in 2011. He began his bobsledding career in 2007 and made the World Cup team during his first season.
- 2014 Four-Man for pilot Nick Cunningham – 12th in Sochi
- 2010 Four-Man for pilot Steven Holcomb – GOLD in Vancouver
Sergeant Emily Sweeney: Luge
Emily joined the military in December 2011. She was the first service member to earn a spot on the Olympic team for the 2018 Winter Games.
World Championship Experience
- 2013 Junior World Champion
Sergeant Taylor Morris: Singles Luge
Taylor joined the Army in July 2011. This is his ninth season competing in luge racing.
- Bronze medal in Lake Placid World Cup sprint race
Sergeant Matthew Mortensen: Doubles Luge
Matthew has been serving as an interior electrician in the Army National Guard since 2010. Matt and his teammate are currently ranked fifth in the World Cup doubles standings.
- Finished 14th at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia
Captain Chris Fogt: Bobsled
Chris has served in the Army since 2009. As a member of the Army World Class Athlete Program he has been able to continue practicing for bobsled competitions.
- 2014 Four-Man for pilot Steven Holcomb – BRONZE in Sochi
- 2010 Four-Man for pilot John Napier – 22nd in Vancouver
Sergeant First Class Nate Weber: Bobsled
Nate joined the Army in 2005. In 2012 he started bobsledding while serving overseas. This is his first Olympic appearance.