This week’s podcast features another participant in the 2017 Women Veterans Art Exhibit, Navy Veteran Debra Russell. The exhibit is traveling to ten different VA medical centers throughout the month of March to celebrate and honor Women’s History Month and how Veterans use art for personal expression.
Debra joined the military in 1984 and served until 1997. She worked in supply early on and went on to work on the staff for an Admiral. She was “med-boarded” after a running accident and was separated from the military. Around that same time, she was dealing with a sexual assault she experienced with a superior. Debra opens up regarding her service, her transition, and how she uses art and photography for therapy.
Covered in Episode 22:
- HillVets 100
- Interview with Navy Veteran Debra Russell
- Why she joined the military
- Her experience in the Navy
- Being sexually assaulted by a superior
- Overcoming an emotional crisis
- Using her local Vet Center
- Why she enjoys photography
- Being a part of the women veterans art exhibit
- Resources for women Veterans
- #VeteranOfTheDay Army Veteran Ralph “Malachias” Gaskin