Episode 14 of the #VApodcast features Marine Veteran Christian Benedetto.
Christian Benedetto was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) in November 2013. In the nearly 25 years that have passed since his military service with the United States Marine Corps in the First Gulf War and the early 1990s, he felt something was terribly wrong with him, yet he believed he was hiding it well. After being diagnosed, Christian founded and launched the PTSDJournal.
PTSDJournal is dedicated to improving the quality of life for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder sufferers and their loved ones. Each issue delivers in-depth research articles, personal narratives and alternate solutions that highlight the causes of PTSD and the keys to recovery. PTSDJournal advocates for the PTSD community, focusing on early intervention, diagnosis, treatment, and awareness initiatives. Each issue provides physicians, scientists, doctors, patients and families an outlet for PTSD awareness and educate the PTSD community and the general population about how to live with PTSD and where to get help.
Covered in Episode 14:
- An ExploreVA Facebook chat occurring on January 25 at IVMF’s Facebook page
- Interview with Marine Veteran Christian Benedetto
- Christian”s decision to join the military.
- How service introduced him to diversity
- Leaving the military
- Being diagnosed with PTSD
- Launching the PTSDJournal
- Using the East Orange VAMC
- Research and apply for health care benefits with VA
- #VeteranOfTheDay Air Force Veteran George Watson
The full transcript of episode 14 can be found here.