The Milwaukee VA Medical Center (VAMC) is located just west of downtown Milwaukee and, along with its multiple partners, serves a Veterans population of over 230,000. Serving Veterans throughout the southeastern and central eastern regions of Wisconsin, the exceptional services offered at this facility include:
- Specialty care
- Inpatient services
- Special-needs services for those with PTSD and spinal-cord injury
- Mental health services
- An extensive outpatient program
- A mobile clinic
Whether you are just starting your career or simply looking for a change of scenery, almost everyone looks for a location where they can have fun and raise a family. Milwaukee is just the place for both of those things. Here are five reasons Milwaukee is a great city to live in:
- Numerous events There is always something to do during the summer. Some of the biggest music festivals in the Midwest take place along the Milwaukee lakefront. From Summerfest (with its crowds of 900,000 and 75-acre spread of stages, shops and food) to Jazz in the Park, there is a music, art or food festival for everyone in Milwaukee.
- Endless access to sports Featuring professional baseball and basketball teams in the metropolitan area, Milwaukee has some great professional sports are considered some of the best. The University of Wisconsin in Madison is only an hour away for college sports fans, and the Green Bay Packers aren’t much farther than that, so you can count on having plenty of sporting events to attend when you move to Milwaukee.
- Great cost of living and school systems The cost of living in Milwaukee is 11.4% lower than the national average, making it one of the most affordable cities to live in. This, combined with the extensive public transportation and well-maintained infrastructure, take the pain out of commuting. Meaning you can live further away from the heart of the city, but still have access to the metropolis. Milwaukee also spends over $1,000 more per student per year than the national average, and has some of the best college and high school education options in the state of Wisconsin.
- Some of the best public parks in the nation If you’re more of an outdoorsy type, then Milwaukee has things for you to do, too. Not only is Wisconsin a beautiful state, you don’t even have to leave the city to enjoy it. The parks in Milwaukee have won numerous awards, and there is even a park that lets you experience every type of climate, from deserts to tropical forests.
- A nightlife that can’t be beat Milwaukee (and a lot of Wisconsin) is famous for having more nightlife spots than grocery stores, so you can be sure that you will always have a new location to explore. Our eateries serve delicious food, making Milwaukee the place to be if you like going out to eat. Milwaukee also features quite a few breweries where you can take tours that chronicle the city’s role in the beer industry.
Are you ready to start your career with VHA? Learn about all the opportunities we have in the Milwaukee area and Join VA. From Inventory Management to Registered Nurse, the possibilities are endless.