In the wake of Hurricane Katrina in 2005, the New Orleans VA Medical Center (VAMC) was left devastated and Veterans were without their usual access to medical care and services. In order to meet the needs of our patients, the VAMC reorganized as Southeast Louisiana Veterans Health Care System (SLVHCS) and began operating eight new community-based clinics, serving 23 parishes, in New Orleans and the surrounding areas. A new VAMC, designed and built under the name Project Legacy, will soon be completed and ready to provide top-of-line services to our Veterans, including:
- Specialty care
- Inpatient services
- Special needs services for those with PTSD and spinal cord injury
- Mental health services
- Home-based community services such as home-based primary care and adult day care
- One of only two national doctor-directed, nurse-provided Hospital at Home programs
Why should you join our New Orleans VAMC team?
- Help serve and provide care for over 70,000 Veterans
- Continuous learning through our education and leadership programs
- Excellent benefits and work-life balance
- The chance to live and work in a historical and culturally renowned city
Life in New Orleans
New Orleans, also known as the Big Easy, is one of the most unique cities in the United States. Located on the Mississippi River, this city offers it all, including centuries-old architecture, incredible live music (the birthplace of jazz!), countless art museums and galleries and some of the best food you will ever have.
Raising a family or planning to? New Orleans is one of the most exciting places to raise children and create memories.
- Various school options including public, private and independent.
- Whether you’re looking for gorgeous property in the suburbs or a livelier city home, the choices are endless.
- The kids will never get bored, with plenty of attractions and activities such as theAudubon Zoo, Bayou Sauvage National Wildlife Refuge and Cascade Stables.
Ready to immerse yourself in a city full of culture and history? Join VA today.