Tim Hudak

  joined the VA in December 2013 and is on the Veterans Experience Office team. Tim, a Chicago-land native enlisted in the Marine Corps straight out of high school. As an intelligence analyst he deployed to Al Anbar province, Iraq with Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 363 in 2006 and 2008. After the Marine Corps, Tim used the GI Bill to earn a degree in Intelligence Studies from Mercyhurst University in Erie, Pa., and co-founded the university’s first student Veteran organization. Tim is active in many Veteran organizations.


  1. d    

    Call VA National Service Phone: 1-800-827-1000 for assistance. You may call your local DAV, American Legion or Local Veterans Benefits Counselor, if they don’t help (they should) then true Your Local, State, or Federal Representative/ Congressman could present a bill to the House of Representatives for a “VOTE” to allow all Veterans an opportunity to get Dental Care as a privilege for serving this great country of ours, and since we elect them they should listen to our voices. This administration should strengthen our Military and the Veteran should never be forgotten. This administration should never be allowed to even consider cutting funding to our Military or Veterans “PERIOD”!!…
    But sadly they have :'(

  2. kathy benway    

    i have a friend he’s a retired veteran(69) where can i receive all the brochures so i can give him the help he needs.i find it disturbing that a vet has to be homeless to get a set of dentures,these men and women fought for their government just following orders as you should by a superior.please help me so i can help him.thank you so much and for serving our country. sincerely, kathy benway

    1. Holly Brown    

      Any VA facility can get your friend into a eligibility meeting. From there Doctors are available. Also Homeless Cordinators to address this issue. Teeth or denture are difficult unless service connected to a injury. There is a Little known program to make Homeless Veterans One Time Dentures….So do your research and then Go for services. Asking others in the system will open many doors. Even Transgendered Issues are covered by VA Services.

    2. Dan F    

      Although dental benefits are usually restricted to 100% service connected disabled veterans, there are situations where dental care may be authorized (besides being homeless).

      The regulation states, if an enrolled veteran ; “Are receiving VA care or are scheduled for inpatient care and require dental care for a condition complicating a medical condition currently under treatment.” they would be eligible. For instance a veteran is having gastrointestinal issues which are being caused by him not properly digesting food because he has no teeth. In a situation as I described, it would be possible to receive dental care. However, the veteran would be considered a low priority.

      I can’t determine by your comment if your friend is homeless or just a veteran who needs medical care. If your friend is not enrolled in VA medical care, have him take his DD214 to the closest VA Medical Center. There he will meet with an eligibility clerk. I would expect because of his income, he will be eligible. That same day he can make appointments for medical care. If he has an urgent issue, that can be addressed the same day (providing you arrive early enough). (The dental issue would not be addressed until a VA medical provider would recommend treatment based on another condition, as previously explained).

      If is sole issue is dental work, you may also look into free clinics at Dental Schools and some areas also have dentists who volunteer their time to those in need. For the later contact your state dental association.

      If your friend is a Vietnam vet (boots on ground in Vietnam and certain blue water veterans), then there are other issues, such as Agent Orange which should be considered.

Comments are closed.