Living in New Orleans, I learned a new word. Lagniappe…it means a little something extra. Nothing goes with a great meal like something to finish it off, like adding bread pudding at the end of a meal at no charge… or taking it to the next level, Lagniappe…Mmm.
Come to find out, VA has Lagniappe as well. Along with the great benefits that come from serving our fellow man, and woman in VA you often find many extras not expected.
I have listed a few that I like to enjoy and love when I find.
- Microsoft Home Use Program: For only $9.95, VA employees can purchase Microsoft® Office Professional Plus 2010 for use at home.
- VA Canteen Service has joined forces with The Exchange to bring VA employees the same great benefit that Military Service members have enjoyed for decades. With NO SALES TAX and FREE SHIPPING on most orders, VA employees can enjoy an average 25% savings from the comfort of their own home.
- 100% Smoking Cessation Coverage is offered in all Federal Employee Health Benefits.
- Many companies offer VA Employees significant discounts for items like Phone Service.
- You can get discounts on Auto Insurance.
- How about discounts on name brand computers and tablets.
- Hotel discounts that can add up to real savings.
Many VA Employees are surprised how many businesses gladly offer a Federal Employee Discount. While lower prices may be labeled a federal, government or public service discount, even my new gym discounted my monthly dues considerably by extending their public service discount to my family.
Why do we think that so many companies offer discounts to VA employees? It’s because VA employees are recognized as public servants serving Veterans. Many, if not most, have choices of where to work. Physicians, Nurses, Pharmacists, and Therapists of all kinds have spent years honing their craft and choose to serve Veterans. Being recognized and appreciated by your community is the greatest Lagniappe of all!
Join us and see what extras are in store for you at www.VAcareers.va.gov!