Information on this page is current as of 11 a.m. ET, Sept. 25.
IMPORTANT: Veterans displaced due to Hurricanes Irma and Harvey can go to any VA medical facility for health care. Read More
VA Medical Centers, Clinics and Other Facilities
Veterans from storm-affected areas who require immediate assistance may contact the Health Resource Center Disaster Hotline at 1-800-507-4571.
For the latest updates on operations at specific VA facilities and associated clinics, please visit your facility’s website and the Facebook pages listed below. Information provided on the facility pages may be more current than what is posted here.
VA Health Care facilities
All facilities are operational except for those noted below in the Miami and West Palm Beach area. Please visit the websites below for more information.
- VA Caribbean Healthcare System (website) – VA Caribbean Healthcare System (Facebook page)
- Island-wide curfew from 7 p.m. – 5 a.m.
- Due to telecommunication challenges on the island, the main phone number is inoperable, however, individuals can reach the San Juan VA Medical Center by dialing 910-475-6515 or 1-800-449-8729. They will be presented with the automated attendant. They can follow prompts or dial an extension.
- San Juan VA Medical Center – beginning Monday, September 25, the medical center will be operational Ceiba – beginning Monday, September 25, will be operational for patient care Guayama – beginning Monday, September 25, will be operational for patient care Mayaguez – beginning Monday, September 25, will be operational for patient care. Dental services remain closed. Arecibo – beginning Monday, September 25, a mobile medical unit will be positioned at the clinic location for patient care; hours of operation 9am-1pm More Details
- Ponce – remains closed
- Utado – remains closed
- Comerio – remains closed
- Vieques – remains closed
- St. Croix – remains closed
- St. Thomas – remains closed
DONATIONS/VOLUNTEERS for PUERTO RICO RELIEF EFFORTS
- VA employees who wish to volunteer in an official capacity should contact their facility emergency manager or DEMPS coordinator.
- Individuals interested in how to donate or offer volunteer services for non-VA positions are asked to go to the FEMA.gov website for more information.
US POSTAL SERVICE INFORMATION
There will be handout service for mail on Saturday in St Thomas from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in these locations:
Customers can pick up packages and mail at:
- East End /Tutu Mall for addresses in ZIP Code 00805
- Havensight for box customers in ZIP Code 00802
- Charlotte Amalie will provide mail handout service for ZIP Codes 00801, 00803, 00805 and street addresses ending in 00802.
Post Offices in St John and St Croix remain closed. Post Offices in Puerto Rico remain closed.
There will be no retail services, package or mail pick up at any location in 006-009 except for the locations listed above.
USPS is not accepting Priority Mail Express service or shipment of live animals for the following ZIP Codes: 006, 007, 008 and 009. There will be no Priority Mail Express service or shipment of live animals in Puerto Rico due to the hurricane.
The following Islands are closed for retail services, package or mail pickup.
- St. Croix 008
- Culebra 00775
- Vieques 00765
- VA Vet Centers – updated information on Vet Center operating status in the affected region. Due to the anticipated impact of Hurricane Maria:
- U.S. Virgin Islands
- St. Croix: Closed
- St. Thomas: Closed
- Puerto Rico
- Arecibo – Closed
- Ponce – Closed
- San Juan – Open
- U.S. Virgin Islands
VA Pharmacy Disaster Relief Plan
VA has activated the Pharmacy Disaster Relief Plan for Veterans in Hurricane Irma impact areas. Eligible Veterans in the affected areas with a VA ID Card needing emergency supply of medications will be able to go to any retail pharmacy open to the public with a written prescription or active VA prescription bottle (not older than 6 months and with refills available) to receive at least a 10 day supply. Note: This does not include controlled substances. Patients must present a valid VA ID Card.
The Heritage Health Customer Care Line is available for VA patients in the affected areas at 1-866-265-0124, option 1. Heritage’s hours of operations for hurricane coverage: Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET, Saturday and Sunday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET
VA’s Veterans Benefits Administration has mechanisms to help Veterans receive their benefit payments if their normal mail cannot be delivered:
- Veterans can sign up for direct deposit on eBenefits.
- Veterans can call 1-800-827-1000 to sign up for direct deposit.
- The Direct Express Cardless Benefit Access program is offering beneficiaries who use Direct Express and reside in the affected area the option to obtain cash without their card, up to $1,000.
- The service is being offered free of charge; however, due to system limitations, a fee will be charged and then refunded to the beneficiary. The beneficiary will be asked to go to a MoneyGram store to retrieve the funds. If the beneficiary is unable to locate a MoneyGram store in operation in his/her area, the funds will be placed back on the Direct Express card.
- MoneyGram agents will require ID before releasing funds. They will accept a passport, driver’s license, military identification card, social security card and/or state identification card. The beneficiary must also have a MoneyGram reference number (provided by the Direct Express Call Center).
- Contact the Direct Express Call Center toll-free number, 1-888-741-1115, and offer to transfer the caller. Callers must choose the “Direct Express Cardless Benefit Access” option on the IVR.
For additional information, download the VA Disaster Assistance brochure (PDF file)
For more on the federal government’s response, visit https://www.usa.gov/hurricane-irma.
Federal Disaster Assistance information
- Visit DisasterAssistance.gov to find assistance in your area: https://www.disasterassistance.gov/get-assistance/find-assistance
- Find VA specific information on DisasterAssistance.gov: https://www.disasterassistance.gov/get-assistance/assistance-by-federal-agency