This week’s roundup of Veterans news and resources:
- The Veterans Crisis Line has fielded 500,000 calls from Veterans since 2007, which has lead to 20,000 rescues of Veterans in a mental health crisis. Veterans can call 24/7 at 1-800-273-8255, chat online, and now text 838255 for help.
- Yesterday, we reported on Dr. Susan Angell’s award in recognition of her hard work on ending Veteran homelessness at the Partnership for Public Service’s Samuel J. Heyman Service to America Awards. Check out this video to hear Dr. Angell explain her crucial work.
- Wondering what benefits you and your dependants may be eligible for? Check out our 2012 Federal Benefits for Veterans handbook, now available online in both English and Spanish. This comprehensive guide provides information on education, home loan, health care, and burial benefits.
- VA is collaborating with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the White House to help Veterans find meaningful work through the Hiring Our Heroes program. Check out this list of hiring events located throughout the country this month.
- Earlier this month, about 300 student Veterans in Ohio and West Virginia had GI Bill benefits delayed due to a move of system records. On Monday, we announced those issues were resolved. If you’re having trouble with tuition, housing, or book payments, call 1-888-GIBILL-1 or ask a secure question here.