The week’s roundup for Veteran news and resources:
- The housing rates for GI Bill payments have been adjusted, and the changes will take effect starting August 2012. Some areas will see an increase in payment (an average of about two percent); others will see a decline. The decline will only affect new students. Folks already enrolled will keep their current rates unless they change schools or have more than a six month break in training. More details and links to the rate changes are here.
- Gulf War Vets with undiagnosed illnesses have five more years to qualify for disability compensation. Some illnesses that may be consequences of chemical weapons, environmental hazards, and vaccinations are considered presumptive. To claim disability compensation for undiagnosed illnesses related to the Gulf War, Veterans must establish eligibility by December 31, 2016.
- On December 7, 1941, Lamar Crawford Sr. was cleaning his rifle on the USS Arizona when Pearl Harbor was attacked by the Japanese. He jumped into the water and was later rescued by sailors. Lamar was one of only 15 Marines to survive on the ship. On December 22, he was the last of the 15 Marines to pass away at the age of 91.
- Have you moved recently, or want to try a different facility? Locate every medical center, outpatient clinic, and Vet Center on our national locations map.
- The fastest way to get VA news and information is from our Facebook and Twitter pages. Every VA medical center is now on Facebook, and new Twitter feeds are going up every week. Find your facility here.